It is important to conserve water all year long, not only in the summer.
- Install aerators in home faucets. By doing this you are able to increase spray velocity while reducing water use.
- If you wash dishes by hand, do not let the water run while you rinse. Fill one sink with soapy water and the other with rinse water.
- Soak your pots and pans instead of letting the water run while you scrape and scrub.
- Instead of using your garbage disposal (it uses water), try composing your organic material.
- Scrape food off of dirty dishes instead of rinsing them. Never dishwasher models are able to handle it so pre-rinsing is not required.
- Only run dishwasher when it has a full load.
- Do not use running water to thaw meat or other frozen foods. This is not only a waste of water, but it can increase the potential for food borne illnesses. Instead, defrost in the refrigerator overnight.
- Keep a bucket in the kitchen to catch water as you are waiting for water to get hot, this is great for watering your plants.
- Wash you produce in a partially filled pan instead of running the faucet, and use the left over water on your plants.